Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Baked Potato Soup

This soup was so tasty, so I thought I'd share it

Baked Potato Soup
4 1/2 bacon strips - diced
1 1/2 small onion - chopped
1 1/2 cloves garlic (or 2 tsp of minced garlic)
1/4 cup and 1 tsp all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp dried basil (I didn't use this - I just added cilantro, parsley, and garlic salt instead)
3/4 tsp pepper (I used garlic pepper)
4 1/2 cups chicken broth
3 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 1/2 cups half and half cream
Shredded cheddar cheese

In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 tbsp drippings. Set bacon aside. Saute onion and garlic in the drippings until tender. Stir in flour, salt, basil and pepper; mix well. Gradually add broth. Bring to boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes and cream; heat through but do not boil. Garnish with bacon and cheese.

We had this soup with bread bowls and it was fantastic.

2 comments:

  1. This is a very expensive soup to make, if you consider the bacon grease burns and the trips to the dermatologist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that! I'm still deciding if its worth the risk... or the skin grafts.

    ReplyDelete